Slap (Nick Rowland , 2015)

Slap - 8/10

About
A teenage boxer must finally come to terms with his true nature and confronts standards of masculinity.

Narrative
We meet the protagonist, a boxer, who is putting on makeup and hiding from his father. We are introduced to his life, friends, girlfriend. His best friend gets beaten up near his house and he's conflicted whether or not to go and help him because he's wearing makeup. He does help his friend and ends up showing him the makeup he wears. He then shows up to a fancy dress party in a dress and makeup and ends up arguing with a friend that tries to kiss him and he splits with his girlfriend.

Liked
I enjoyed the themes of this short film, I think it was one of the more modern ideas we've seen. It has a lot of challenging narratives within which pushes the audience to really think.



Disliked
This film was slightly longer than most of the films we've watched but I think it could've had an even bigger impact if it had ended at an earlier place during the film.

Inspiration
There's nothing I would take from this short film to inspire my own.

Comments

Popular Posts