Tight Jeans (Destiny Ekaragha, 2008)
Tight Jeans - 1/10
About:
Tight Jeans is apparently a light comedy, directed by Destiny Ekaragha. It touched on attitudes towards other cultures, in the time it was filmed. It explores the lack of knowledge we tend to have of one another and how we don't even realise it.
Narrative:
Three black teenage guys are waiting for their friend. A young white male walks by wearing a pair of tight jeans, hence the title. One of the boys asks, 'how can a man wear jeans that tight?' This then triggers a debate between the three guys revolving around race and culture. Alike to Operator and Echo, a similar question is raised again, meaning the same ridiculous conversation is started once again.
Liked:
The only thing I liked about this film was the cyclical narrative.
Disliked:
At the beginning of the film, there's a series of establishing shots (of the market, crowds of people, two young boys fighting) that don't really establish anything. The rest of the film is set around the three guys sat, waiting, on a wall, which has no connections to whatever the beginning was trying to set up.
I don't see how the music fits in with the style of the film or what we're being shown and it's probably the most lively/exciting thing in the piece.
Content wise, I think the humour is dated which is why I didn't find it funny. At all.
Inspiration:
The idea of having a cyclical narrative and the focus on one character/one thing/object, is something I would like to explore for my own short film.



Good critical evaluation of this film, Kate, but also good to see you reflect on something that you did find interesting about the film.
ReplyDelete